WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A TEACHING ARTIST?!
Teaching Artists are practicing, professional artists who have dual careers as educators. As an actor, I base my workshops in creative drama and imaginative play.
Based on the learning objectives for your classroom, I can adapt a residency model to your material and needs!
As an actor and teaching artist, I have always been passionate about the power of the arts to empower all people. Whether it is through storytelling, creative drama games and improvisation activities, or movement and vocal exercises that get us comfortable in our bodies, a new skillset is learned to enhance your everyday life and talents in a new way.
I offer programming that supports an increase in self-confidence, empathy, and other interpersonal and communication skills. It’s amazing what can be gained and strengthened through simple practice of talking and listening truthfully to one another and putting yourself in someone else’s shoes — which is what acting is essentially!
The most beautiful experiences I have had with educators happen when we collaborate with the unique needs of each student at the forefront of every conversation. I am definitely willing and able to adapt my curriculum to support your students specifically and that can be assessed through check-in meetings at the end of each class, even if it’s just for five minutes.
In addition to my acting résumé, I have years of experience as a teaching artist in creative drama with autism and life skills classrooms throughout Pennsylvania and have performed, created for and with audiences with developmental disabilities. I also have coached elementary, middle and high school students in scene study and Shakespeare for Pittsburgh Public Theater, and am an Adjunct Instructor for the University of Pittsburgh Department of Theatre Arts teaching Intro to Performance.
Check out my work in the classroom with Jumping Jack Theater here.
Original course created for Pittsburgh Public Schools' Summer BOOST program promoting imaginative play and strengthening interpersonal skills for third graders
A SELECT LIST OF AWESOME PLACES I HAVE WORKED
KEYSTONE STATE MUSIC THEATER, Pittsburgh, PA
September 2022 - November 2023 | Acting Instructor
· Worked with students ages 3 years old through middle school aged on acting foundations curriculum in the "Total Broadway" program including Stanislavski's System, Laban Movement Theory, Adler Technique, Meisner, imaginative play and more.
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH, DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE ARTS, Pittsburgh, PA
August 2021 - May 2022 | Adjunct Instructor (College)
· Taught the Intro to Performance course and help students develop an introductory level of acting skills through the use of regular warm-ups, theatre games, improvisation, and simple scene study.
PITTSBURGH CENTER FOR THE ARTS & MEDIA, Pittsburgh, PA
June 2019 - Present | Teaching Artist (Elementary School)
· Summer Dreamers Academy - Designed and executed daily curriculum and teachable moments surrounding diverse stories, imaginative play, communication skills, active listening, leadership skills and empathy
· Beechwood Elementary School - Collaborate with Lead teachers to reach student learning goals through arts enrichment
JUMPING JACK THEATER, Pittsburgh, PA
December 2016 - Present | Actor/Lead Teaching Artist (Special Education - Elementary & Middle)
· Develop and perform original works for audiences that benefit from sensory & autism-friendly strategies
· Created 20 weeks of curriculum (Approved for PA Standards) for autism & life skills classrooms
PITTSBURGH PUBLIC THEATER, Pittsburgh, PA
December 2018 - Present (seasonal) | Teaching Artist (Elementary, Middle & High School)
· Empower students to have fun, feel comfortable and step outside their comfort zone with Shakespearean text
PINE RICHLAND YOUTH CENTER, Pittsburgh, PA
September 2018 - December 2018 | Creative Drama Instructor & Private Acting Coach
· Created and facilitated PRYC’s first theatre arts based program with organized end of the semester performance
· Taught private acting lessons to middle/high school students looking to dig deeper into script analysis and audition technique
YMCA/THE MOYLAN SCHOOL, Hartford, CT
January 2016 - May 2016 Theatre Program Instructor, K-5
· Launched theatre program and demonstrated flexibility in the classroom to adapt to the each student’s needs
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH, MEDICAL SCHOOL & SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK, Pittsburgh, PA
August 2019 - Present | Standardized Client & Training Mentor
· Portray cases in an educational setting to help students achieve learning objectives
· Mentor, hire and train new employees to provide guidance and feedback throughout their onboarding process
· Facilitate feedback sessions with professionals training to in fields such as medicine, dentistry, nursing and social work
CHILDREN’S THEATRE OF CHARLOTTE, Charlotte, NC
May 2016 - August 2016 (seasonal) | Educational Coordinator & Administrative Assistant
· Offered administrative and technical support to teachers and counselors for weekly camps (2,000 students)
· Acted as a liaison between staff and families for age group placement and offered strategies for behavioral setbacks
CONDUCTED TRAININGS FOR...
- Carnegie Science Center
- Erie Playhouse
- The Erie Art Museum
- California University of Pennsylvania
- Phipp's Conservatory
- The Rose Theater